Storing Vegetables Without Plastic in the Refrigerator

When I store veggies in the fridge, I typically just toss them on the shelf or put them in a glass container. Recently, though, I was wondering if there are better ways that would keep my veggies fresher. Lucky for me, Beth over at Fake Plastic Fish recently did a post on this. And just in time for farmers' market season.

The post links to an awesome little flyer done by the Berkeley Farmers' Market. It's called How To: Store Fruits and Vegetables: Tips and tricks to extend the life of your produce without plastic.

Enjoy!

p.s. This isn't in the brochure, but to store parsley or cilantro, I just put them in a glass of water (like flowers in a vase) and put them in the fridge. It's a plastic-free solution and it helps them keep for a long time.

Comments

Reenie Beanie said…
Thanks, LLP! This will come in handy when my CSA starts next weekend!
Karen said…
I just keep my parsley in a glass on the counter like cut flowers. It seems to keep longer than in the fridge. I haven't had much luck with keeping cilantro the same way, so I usually buy it (or cut it from the garden) and use it all up at once to make salsa and cilantro pesto.
What about all the enormous plastic fixtures in my home (refrigerator, stovetop, oven, cabinets, flooring, etc)? I'm curious to know how to de-plastic my life too and looking forward to reading more of your blog :)
Zed Universe said…
That was a great piece of information. We also believe in living sustainably and not hampering the environment

Popular Posts